So, how far does the CBN hope to go against Naira defacers?

Welcome Forums Lawyers Forum So, how far does the CBN hope to go against Naira defacers?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Stephen Azubuike Stephen Azubuike 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Azubuike
    Stephen Azubuike
    Keymaster

The CBN has reportedly moved to curb the menace of defacing the Naira currency. This is bad news for Naira hawkers and those who spray money at parties, especially weddings. This is not the first time an attempt is being made to fight this. The law has been there for a while now. Will CBN ever win the battle?

Nancy Ugomma
    Nancy Ugomma
    Participant

I remember those days of “My name na naira” radio advert… In the end its all bark and no bite 🙂

Stephen Azubuike
    Stephen Azubuike
    Keymaster

Yea, Nancy. I’ve actually forgotten the advert… Even our leaders are addicted to showing off at big parties by spraying the Naira indiscriminately. Spraying money has a solid place in our culture.

Chris Ikenna
    Chris Ikenna
    Participant

I think is poverty mentality that is majorly the reason people spray money recklessly on occasions instead of secretly giving out cheque or cash to the celebrant. When a man is trying so hard to let people know he is rich, it means he is not actually rich in the strict sense of the word. Wealth speaks for itself. It doesn’t need an advertisement.

Stephen Azubuike
    Stephen Azubuike
    Keymaster

I agree, Chris. This clearly accounts for the historic background to the practice which today has become something of cultural relevance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.